--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blog Home Shop now! About Media Showcase Links
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Artisan: Paul Amponsah

I'm Paul Amponsah , 29 years old and 5 feet tall. I speak Twi and English.
I work with brass handicraft at Kurofrom a village near Kumasi the capital of the Ashanti Region. I learnt brass casting from my uncle at the age of 9 when I used to help him after school hours and weekends. As a child I was interested in cultural items and the status that gold held in our society.My first design was a bird. My uncle was very proud of me that day!! I completed school in 1997. I worked with my uncle for 2 years, now he is in America so he handed over the business to me which is growing since then.In 1999 I was chosen by UNESCO to travel to Murano one of the world centres in glass bead making in Italy to learn more about other hand made beads cultures. The trip was very interesting and educational.At present I have fifteen workers, ten are masters and the other five are apprentices. I have some visitors too from out side the country who came and learnt this unique art from me. I love to travel out side the country to teach others about Brass Bead making. I love what I am doing. I am supporting my parents and helping a lot in the community I'm not married.

No comments: